Italy Before You Go                                  Home           


                                                                             Before You Go Information


        Register :                              International Travel                                         U.S. Department of State

The U.S. Department of State encourages all American travelers to register with their local Embassy or Consulate when arriving in a foreign country. Registration helps the Embassy to provide important services for American citizens residing or traveling abroad. Some of these services include:
  • Locating individuals in cases of family or personal emergencies,
  • Relaying important travel and safety information about the region,
  • Arranging evacuation transportation in cases of natural disaster or civil unrest,
  • Issuing replacement passports when originals are lost, and
  • A number of other administrative services relating to personal documentation.
Without the information provided through registration, the Embassy is severely hindered in its ability to provide these services. Many of these services involve emergency situations and time constraints, therefore failure to register will almost certainly lead to delays at moments when you can least afford them. American Citizen Services Abroad

Visiting:  If you plan on traveling  to Italy for pleasure or business you will need a Passport, a visa is not necessary. You will also need mandatory  Health Insurance, both are required  to enter the country. You will also need to show that you have enough funds to support yourself for the allotted time you will be in the country. Travelers will be allowed to stay a maximum of 90 days in  the entire European Union within a 180 day period. You are no longer allowed to jump from country to country and start the 90 day period over. You must leave.
If you plan on staying longer you must obtain a  Visa which is stamped (length of time you wish to remain) in your passport.
Italian  Consulates  in U.S.

Permission To Stay :  (permesso di soggiorno/carta di soggiorno) is needed if you are planning on remaining longer than 90 days.  U.S. Diplomatic Mission  (Italian Law) Parlamento Italiano.           



 copyright   My Paesano all rights reserved